- They're all men.
- They can't spell.
- They're obsessed with homeopathy.
- They're predictable.
- They're confusing. Some skeptics are good guys. Some skeptics are bad guys. I can never remember who is which, and have to read another rant about homeopathy or climate change to remind me.
- They've upset the nice people at Glasgow Science Festival. Well that was me actually. But it was their fault. I let slip in a moment of weakness that I don't give a toss about homeopathy.
- They convey none of the wonder of science.
- They repel the scientifically uninformed but keen to learn.
- They've grasped one half of science - that it's analytic and critical - but not the other - that it's creative and constantly surprising.
- They point out stupidity wherever they find it. But no one in the history of the world - not since the first great ape stood tall on the savannah and scanned the horizon for food and women - has ever got suddenly smarter by being told how naive, gullible and brainless they really are.
Wednesday, 17 August 2011
Posted by Douglas Blane at 01:18